457 Visa Migration Information
Moving to Australia on a 457 visa
The 457 visa is the most popular working visa program in Australia;
- The 457 visa is reasonably flexible allowing individuals to be employed between one day and up to four years;
- Allows eligible dependants (secondary applicants) to work or study in Australia;
- Allows individuals once entering Australia the ability of unlimited travel in and out of Australia.
- 457 visa holders can convert after a set period to an Australia permanent resident (assuming they meet the requirements).
Who is the 457 Visa for?
The 457 visa is designed to aid employers who wish to employ overseas workers to fill nominated skilled positions in Australia.
Key requirements of this visa include:
- The applicant must accept a position from an employer who has approval to recruit 457 visa holders from overseas.
- The applicant must fulfil the occupation requirements such as skill, qualifications and experience for the employer
- To ensure the 457 visa holder is able to provide for themselves in Australia the employer must pay a minimum of $49,300p.a. from the 1st July 2011 (this rate is reviewed yearly)
- 457 visa applicants must demonstrate they have proficient English levels (this is not relevant for English speaking passport holders such as those from the Canada, New Zealand, The Republic of Ireland, United Kingdom and the United States of America.
- The applicant and his/her members who will also come to Australia on the 457 visa must meet the character requirements and value statements set by the Australian Government. This factor’s in elements such as, the individual’s criminal history.
- The applicant must meet the health requirements set by the Australian Government. This may include a health examination for 457 visa applicants by an approved doctor.
Cost of the 457 Visa
There are three costs for the 457 visa which will be charged to either the company or the applicant. (Reviewed 1 July each year)
- Sponsorship Application Charge – $405 (Employer cost)
- Nomination Charge – $80 per nomination (Employer cost)
- Visa Application Charge – $305 (Employee Charge)
The charges above are based on the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship form 990i.
457 Visa Health Insurance
Since September 2009, it has been the responsibility of the applicant to secure ‘adequate arrangements’ for health insurance in Australia. Most Australian Health funds don’t offer these arrangements for overseas residents so it’s vital to get a specialist health cover that fulfils the Australian Governments ‘adequate arrangements’ clause. It is critical to ensure you meet these arrangements before your applicant is received.
IMAN Australian Health Plans has over 30 years’ experience in providing overseas visitors with health insurance that meets the 457 visa requirements for ‘adequate health arrangements’. IMAN Australian Health Plans offers lowest priced budget cover in Australia. Upon joining a visa letter is issued which should be included in the applicant paperwork as proof that the applicant has met this requirement.